Friday 30 May 2014

HAIR DYING INFORMATION for No-poo / Shamphree

Hi everybody! Greetings of peace and love!

As I mentioned in my previous post (4 months shamphree update) my hair got lighter because of all the lemon juice I have been using over the course of my shamphree experimenting. The lemon serves as a conditioner to make my hair soft and smooth: easy to brush.

Before going no-poo, I used to dye my hair about once a year and the last colour I had done was red. BRIGHT RED! It was lovely, I really liked it. But after about 6 months I was really bored of it so I un-died it with a store-bought product meant for it; a dye stripper. I used it and not only did it just make my hair orange, it also made it so STINKY! After dealing with the stench (by drenching it in oil and washing out many times) I got used to the weird colour and actually started liking it. It was no longer called weird orange but light copper ;-)
Only when I went no-poo it just got lighter and lighter and became blond - but only the died part! So I had 10 to 15 cm of brown hair from the roots down and the rest of the length was blondy-ginger... I really wanted my natural colour back so I tried shikakai powder and coffee but those don't dye hair they just help to bring out natural darks. Only my natural colour was buried very deep under the blond and the dye stripper and the red, chemical dye... So! what to do...

Well I didn't want to use a chemical full product on my no-poo hair because I thought it would throw my hair off track completely as I don't want to be using chemicals on my hair anymore!

I couldn't find any useful help online as to how to dye no-poo hair. All the info I could find was how to go no-poo on already dyed hair (which FYI is exactly the same as going no-poo on natural un-dyed hair, except that the dye will get lighter with the use of either lemon or ACV)

I went to a natural whole foods shop and bought a 'natural' hair dye. Of course it's not in fact completely natural but it has no amonia, no parabens and none of the crap that I am mainly trying to keep away from (at least I hope). It's called NaturTint. Heard of it? Please let me know what you know of it if you have!!!

So I dyed it, pretty simple, it's the same as any other DIY hair dye. It cost about £10.49 but it was reduced to £7.49 that day (yepee) so it turned out to be about the same price as a usual one too. I chose the colour that was the closest to my natural colour because I only dyed the part that went blond and I did not dye my roots.

Afterwards I rinsed it out really well, until the water ran clear. I did NOT use the shampoo and care cream that came in the box - I chucked those out - Instead though I made a paste out of baking soda, lemon and shikakai powder I also added a few drops of water. So after rinsing the dye out of my hair very well, I massaged the paste into my hair and scalp and washed like you would with any shampoo but I left it in for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then I rinsed it all out and my hair was very clean but EXTREMELY DRY! So once it dried I covered the dyed part of my hair in coconut oil (avoiding my roots!) I kept the oil in my hair for about 8 hours then rinsed it out with water only. Although still very oily, I could tell that my hair was dry and brittle underneath so I smothered it in coconut oil again. I left it in for 15 hours then did a baking soda wash followed by a lemon-water conditioner and washed it all out. Then I towel dried it as much as I could and let it air dry for the rest. When it was almost fully dry I took a really little bit of coconut oil into my hands and made sure it was all liquid with the heat of my hands and then I stroked my hands through my hair. This was so that it would dry with a bit of oil on it to make it softer and shinier. Wash it through one last time, the next day but just with a lemon-water mix.

Step-by-step (this took me 4 days, so make sure you have time!)

1) Do the DIY 'natural' hair dye -as stated on the information leaflet that came with the dye you bought.
2) Rinse out thoroughly.
3) DO NOT USE THE SHAMPOO AND HAIR CARE THAT CAME WITH THE DYE
4) Make a paste out of your usual shamphree washing style (paste out of baking soda and lemon for example) and put it all over your hair - leave in for 10 to 15 minutes.
5) Rinse out the paste.
6) Towel dry or air dry as usual.
7) If your hair feels dry or brittle, cover it in coconut oil to moisturise it and leave in for 8 to 10 hours.
8) Rinse out with water only (as hot as you can take it, so the oil can drip off, then rinse with cool water to close follicles)
9) If hair is still dry and brittle, then cover in coconut oil again and leave in for 15 to 20 hours.
10) Rinse out and do a baking soda wash followed by your conditioner (ACV or lemon water)
11) Towel or air dry as usual.

If your hair still feels brittle then go to step 12 but if your hair is back to normal then you can stop right there, and you're done :-)

12) Just before fully dry, comb your hair and stroke a teeny-weeny, little bit of coconut oil through your hair length and ends - not on the roots. This is to add soft and shine.
--Because of the coconut oil, your hair might still look wet when it's dry, but it won't look oily or greasy, it'll have the sort of wet beachy look. It looks best in a high pony tail or half pony tail (or covered).
13) The next day, wash it with lemon water (juice of half a lemon and a cup of water, in a squirt bottle and squirt it all over your hair, leave in during the time of your shower (about 10 mins) and rinse out with warm water at the end) Dry as usual.
14) HOPEFULLY your hair will be just lovely!

Those long hours were either in the night or when I went to work with a head scarf, so that the oily coconut hair was not on display! ;-)

Please comment if you try this to let me know how it went for you, or if you tried a different way to successfully dye your hair. I really want to know!

So there it is, hope this helped!
Peace!



No comments:

Post a Comment